Loading...

DMCC blog #4

As we wrap up our presentations for our exhibit pieces, we spent time digesting the feedback we have received and what we can do to improve our exhibit for the presentation in Melbourne. I have also had time to reflect on what I can do to improve the efficiency of completing a large scale project in a small amount of time.

Most positive comments were resultant of the animation, art style and sound design. Liyana’s animation work proved to be particularly popular, as users complimented the simplistic, minimalist style approach to the art style, which complimented the otherwise sound heavy piece.

Constructive feedback that we received mostly revolved around the limited interactivity with the piece with only two tools and also the shortened storyline. From observing others interacting with the piece, we noticed that they were often impatient having to wait for the end of the narration sequence to be able to use the tools. For the Melbourne showcase, we plan to expand the amount of tools the user will be to interact with in the piece, as well as explore options for interactivity using Arduino control. As mentioned in a previous post, while the Makey-Makey provides a simple to understand and fun user interface, it is very limited with only its on/off functionality. Introducing Arduino could provide a multitude more interactive methods we could introduce, and will open up more creative options for us to explore.

One lecturer also commented on the basic aesthetic of our table-top design, and believed it could have been aesthetically more pleasing. Whilst it was our goal to keep the setup simplistic in order for ease of use, we will take the aesthetic into consideration for the Melbourne showcase.

The short narrative also was mentioned in the feedback as something we could expand on. We had already taken this into account, as we had to drop roughly one third of the script due to time constraints. With the addition of new interactive methods, we will be able to expand and intertwine the narrative even more, to give the multiple-use participant a more varied and fulfilling experience.

In terms of personal improvement, I can definitely see where I can improve in my time efficiency abilities for completing projects in a short amount of time. Whilst sound design, and particularly foley work, generally is very tedious and time consuming, there were some aspects which could have saved several hours of work with some pre-made presets that I could have installed immediately, instead of painstakingly making everything from scratch. To prepare for future projects, I will start compiling elements like custom made drones that will be easy to utilise for many instances.

Overall, I have highly enjoyed my time in Kuala Lumpur working at MMU. I believe our group worked very cohesively together, with shared input from each individual in the creative process, and open communication between each party through the entire process. I look forward to continuing to work with Liyana and Ilham on the project when we return to Melbourne, to keep expanding on the foundations we have started in Kuala Lumpur.

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *