Loading...

Blog Post Four

The next step in the process was setting up the physical space inside the booth we set up. A huge part of this installation for us was the interactivity between the user, the tools and the storyline. As such we decided that the physical space should help to bring the user into the narrative and make the mental transition between physical reality and perceptual reality (as created by the experience of immersive multi narrative storytelling). TO achieve this we decided to find items (essentially rubbish) to fill the space with to replicate the disused environment depicted in the story. This would be reflected in the interactive tools as well, we decided to create an aged effect with the hammer that we bought and sourced an old machete.

The final day before presentation was spent using after effects to create the remaining scenes and connect the audio files with the visuals. This was a lengthy process as after effects does not run sound effectively so I spent a large amount of time cross referencing between the audio files time signatures and the corresponding times within after effects. This was not an ideal process, though it was necessary due to my computers inability to process the audio real-time (An upgrade to High Sierra was a questionable choice with decidedly disappointing results). The other difficulty we faced here was ensuring that we had the correct translations from the Malay to English and that the timing was accurate. This was not a problem when the team was together as we could double check with our Malaysian teammates Ilham and Liyana, however when they were not around (when I was working at the hotel for example) this was a time consuming (and occasionally hilarious) process of cross referencing what I heard with google translate, turns out my Malay spelling is absolutely abysmal.

After completing the final scenes we did a play through of all possible storylines without the tools and the makey makey set up. This resulted in us finding a few bugs in the html which were quickly corrected and a few issues with timing and spelling that were also corrected (much more slowly…).

Proceeding from there we set up a full hardware test run of our makey makey and the program and began to come across a few bugs with hardware. The first issue we came across was that the machete was so oxidized and old that the layer of rust around the outside was no longer conductive, this meant either sharpening the blade or covering the end in tin foil. We decided against sharpening the blade for fairly obvious safety reasons and decided to roll with the al foil. In the end the foil provided a nice touch and leant itself to the ramshackle aesthetic of the piece. The hammer on the other hand worked absolutely perfectly (and was extremely satisfying to hold!).

The full hardware test confirmed the effectiveness of the tools in elevating the storyline and providing a unique method for interacting with the piece. Once we completed the testing we packed up for the day.

The following day consisted of making the final touches to the piece, completing the full set up and doing final tests. After we fully completed our set up we asked several of the other students to take a test run and see if there were any bugs. Thankfully everyone played through without any issue and by and large seemed to thoroughly enjoy themselves! Overall the project was a success and I look forward to continuing the process back in Melbourne.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *