We spend the past two days working on the storyboard of short animations and drawing assets in Illustrator and Photoshop. Apart from the project, we had two days of workshops on VR and storytelling. The first workshop focused on the importance of strong storyline and the effect of that on the audience, the industry artist talked through the key points of a successful narrative, which was having a climax, a twist and emotional or physical growth of a character.
Although we did not have a clear narration in our project, we decided to connect all short animations in after effect to achieve long shot effect, which can also add a storyline to our animation. I have also looked into some After Effect 2D tutorials to use for transitions between animations.
We decided to create a storyline that takes the audience between Melbourne and KL, for example:
– The audience will start from a beach in KL, the audience will stand cliff and jump into the ocean, the scene will change to Melbourne aquarium.
– The audience will get into a Taxi, and when looking out the window, the scene will change between KL and Melbourne.
For class activity, we constructed a projection mapping experience using a relaxing space in MMU. The classroom environment could be stuffy and sleepy, this project encourages students to step outside and enjoy the environment. The interactive projection will consist of a beach scene projected on the floor, as students step on the sand, a footprint will be left.
On Thursday we had a workshop from VJ visual artist, he showed us how to achieve audiovisual synchronicity. Having a cohesive visual can engage the audience but could risk cover taking their focus from music to visual. Our most concerned problem since the start of this project was sound, this was resolved with the help of our classmate (Vlado), who kindly offered to let us use his own remix in our project. We understand the importance of sound in this project, the music he offered was very rhythmic, fast tempo, and we think it will work nicely with our concept.
For class activity, we came up with AR interactions that we can use with our project. As our project currently is only set for one audience at a time, we decided to create something that would involve more audience. By scanning the image target projected on the wall, and the audience can view the same animation, which will interact with their finger. The experience can also be recorded to be shared on social media.
As we started drawing assets in Illustrator, we realized a problem that we have overlooked, we didn’t take in consideration of the proportion of buildings to the audience. Some of our scenes will be a long distant shot, that shows the audience in front of a signature location of Melbourne or KL or interact with other characters. To make this scene realistic, we will need to make an assumption on an average height and width, and how that will transfer on to the canvas.
To resolves this, we came up with a solution of projecting a color stripe on the wall we will be presenting at and using assumption we made of height and width to calculate how we will place different assets in a scene. Therefore, we decided to ignore the proportional problems for now, and continue creating assets in Illustrator as it can be resized easily.
To organize the group work, we each had different assets to draw. Winnie and I will be drawing backgrounds, while Sity will be drawing side characters. To keep the art style consistent, we used same color tone and brush settings.